The Soul Show on WYEP
- A floodgate of women’s music opened this month. On The Soul Show, get ready for new tracks from Melanie Charles, Brandee Younger, Rhea Sun and Samara Joy.
- Samara Joy’s debut release received a rave review on NPR this week. Mike Canton just received the album, so he’ll begin the deep dive on The Soul Show this week.
- Weedie Braimah’s album “The Hands of Time” received a nod from Soulshowmike’s Album Picks in this week’s City Paper. The Soul Show will continue the dive that began last weekend.
- Mike Canton visited The Highline this week to hear Kinetic’s live presentation of “Dances of Lake Volta.” Hear his reflections, plus a spin of the album on Three Rivers at Three, the weekly Pittsburgh showcase on The Soul Show.
- Mike Canton just found out about an upcoming Cuban music presentation on the Southside. Listen to The Soul Show for some breaking news, as Pittsburgh’s music scene bubbles into diverse realms.
- There’s a new world release by Bakithi Kumalo. Mike Canton will spin a track on The Soul Show. It features our own Poogie Bell on percussion.
- As the jazz festivals in Pittsburgh and Cleveland approach, hear Mike Canton’s list of artists to check out. The Soul Show, Saturday 2-5pm.
The Soul Show on the African American Public Radio Consortium
- More from the women’s floodgate: the Amethyst Kiah album “Wary + Strange.”
- Alex Cuba’s collaboration with Raul Midón on Cuba’s “Mendó.
- Burnt Sugar The Arkestra Chamber reemerges with a new spaced-out single.
- More from the Joe Marcinek Band’s latest funk/jazz release.
The Great Outdoors
2021 has seen a lot of new pop-up venues complement the regular spaces. Here are some of both: