New Year’s Day feature: Top Ten Albums of ’21
The first day of 2022 is a perfect time to look back at all of the great music from 2021. Two weeks ago, The Soul Show presented its Top Ten Songs, and this week will be the Top Ten Albums. If you’ve been following Soulshowmike’s Album Picks in the City Paper all year, you’ll already know many of them. There were some late surprises. Enjoy.
Over the next two weeks, I’ll be recording interviews with Slam Band & Sam, an emerging Pittsburgh funk band. Also, there’s Corey Harris, the MacArthur Genius Award recipient whose research focused on the West African origins of the blues. These interviews will be presented on radio, my Pittsburgh City Paper monthly feature, and right here at soulshowmike.org.
In the face of the past year’s challenges, I’m really happy about the growth of The Soul Show’s universe:
- The syndicated edition of The Soul Show expanded to a total of four markets.
- The ongoing improvements to Electric Basement Studios afforded high-quality audio and video production to support collaborations with the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust and the August Wilson Center.
- Other WYEP hosts were trained in home production to support our pandemic broadcast needs.
- The Soul Show was voted a Top Ten Radio Show and I was voted a Top Ten Radio DJ in the annual Best Of poll.
- Soulshowmike’s Album Picks , the monthly column in Pittsburgh City Paper, celebrated its first anniversary. Also, The Soul Pod made its a soft debut on the CP online platform…stay tuned for its full launch in 2022.
Happy New Year!